Pages

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Seaming Reverse Stockinette...Or, Finding My Motivation

I have been a busy knitter lately! I finished my second Creature Comforts Cardi, this one for a friend (who promised to send me a picture of her wearing it so I can share!) and decided that my poor Fireside Cardigan had been neglected for far too long. The problem is that I always lose my will to go on once a project is to the point where all that is left is the sleeves, so I decided to do the finishing on the body to kick start my desire to finish the sleeves. I love the coil-less pins to keep things together while I stitch, and I lay the whole thing over my knee to have both hands free for the work.



Mattress stitch is my preferred seaming method because it is so invisible--but I'd never seamed reverse stockinette before, so out came my trusty Reader's Digest Knitter's Handbook by Montse Stanley. It turns out it's not much different from stockinette mattress stitch; you just have to make sure you always catch the bottom of the ridge on one side and the top of the ridge on the other. So as I was working, I was chanting "Bottom, top, bottom, top..."



I think it turned out pretty well...as you can see below, there is a little ridge where the seam is, but I am thinking re-blocking the piece once it's all seamed up will solve that.

I still have some ends to weave in and the perfect buttons to find, but it looks like a vest now! And, HUUUUUUGE sigh of relief, it fits. Now to tackle those sleeves.

No comments:

Post a Comment